GSEP's New Leader Training is a three-step process that is required for all leaders and co-leaders, and must be completed within three months of your volunteer placement. All three steps are available online and are free!
Step 1: GS101
This 45 minute online introduction to the Girl Scout program provides background information on Girl Scouts of the USA and talks about the program goals. It is only offered online. You can take this training here.
- Visit GS101 course site
- Enter your contact information
- Select "Council Name" as Eastern Pennsylvania
- Watch video modules
Step 2: Volunteer Essentials
Pre-requisites: Step 1
This 50 minute online workshop introduces new volunteers to their roles and responsibilities as troop leaders. The goal of this training is to familiarize new leaders with the Volunteer Essentials (VE) manual, which is our comprehensive volunteer guide, published on our Volunteer Resources page.
Note: This training is a series of three videos and a short quiz. You must take and submit the quiz to receive credit for the training. Take Step 1 training to receive link to Step 2.
Step 3: New Leader Training - Grade Level Essentials
Pre-requisites: Step 1 and Step 2
This 30 minute online workshop will build on core leadership knowledge you gained in the first two steps of New Leader Training. Step 3 will introduce you to age specific factors that directly affect your girls and your group and dive into the Journeys and the Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting.
Note: This training is a video and a short quiz. You must take and submit the quiz to receive credit for the training. Take Step 2 Training to receive the link to Step 3.
Step 4: Jump Into Leading
This 2-hour hands-on training is a follow-up to the required New Leader trainings, and supports all grade levels of Girl Scouts. This course will provide new leader with the opportunity to:
- Engage with other new leaders
- Ask questions to an experienced trainer
- Experience some Girl Scout traditions
Step 5: Supplemental Trainings
Troop Finance Basics
This 1-hour webinar will help you to take charge of your Troop's finances! In Troop Finance Basics, leaders will:
- Review the responsibilities of the Troop Treasurer role
- Develop an understanding of GSEP's financial policies and procedures
- Explore best practices for troop money management
Troop Travel Basics
This 1-hour webinar is a crash course in troop travel! In Troop Travel Basics, leaders will:
- Define progression and readiness factors for girls as related to trips
- Learn the troop trip approval process
- Learn the steps to plan, implement, and evaluate a trip ot overnight with girls